Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Fingerpaints

Just so life doesn't get ahead of us, I like to try to do a project a day. I didn't do anything fun with Calandra the last 3 months of my pregnancy, and I regret it. I was at home the whole time and even though we enjoyed being lazy, watching tv, playing outside, and taking naps... I have little memory of the 3 months, and the fact that I let that long go without making memories for her disturbs me a little bit...
So because everything homemade is better (well, a lot of stuff, anyway), here is a recipe for washable, edible, and homemade finger paints that I myself have used twice in the past month!

In one large saucepan, stir 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of cold water until smooth. Add 3 cups of cold water and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick (takes about 10 minutes). Reduce heat by half and stir for 1 minute. Separate into containers (I used Gladware, and this made enough for 4- 1 cup containers). Color with food coloring. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool.

Make sure you only cover it with plastic wrap... I made the mistake of putting actual lids on it, which did not allow the gas made by the flour/water to escape. It turned the paints into a disgusting, foul smelling, watery mess. Oh, and I had the 4 containers stacked on top of one another, so when the bottom one burst open, the top one fell against the wall and dripped down it until I got home and noticed.

I have a lot of other recipes for homemade paints and whatnot, but I don't want to post them until I can try them out and am willing to stand behind them!

No comments:

Post a Comment