Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Homemade liquid soap and sugar scrubs!

Sorry I haven't been updating! I have been visiting family and -whew- I am worn out...
Soap turned out AWESOME. I used the bar soaps from Bath & Body Works, which aren't very moisturizing, and since my soap ended up being just a little less than 1 gallon, I filled it all the way up with moisturizing lotion (I used Coco Butter actually) and poured it all back into the pot, stirred, and back into the milk jug. Works great! And soooo much cheaper than buying it- which is good, because my daughter has a nice habit of using a lot of soap whenever she washes her hands. I know how to make regular baby soap in to foaming baby soap, so I am going to try it with the liquid hand soap and let you know how that works out. It should be the same!

Here's the recipes I used:

Brown Sugar Scrub
(this is very much a play-with-it recipe, meaning you chose just about everything for it, lol)
1 part brown sugar 1 part white sugar.
oil (olive oil, sunflower oil, grape seed oil, any oil you want)

Mix sugars. Pour into container that it will be stored in, and pour in some oil. When the oil has soaked through as far as it is going to, pour some more. Continue until it reaches the bottom. You will probably have to stir it to make sure that everything at the bottom is covered.
Ta-da! All done!

Lemon Sugar Scrub
This is also a play-with-it recipe! Lucky you!
Measure out how much white sugar you will need to fill the container (fill it pretty full, because it will sink down once soaked in oil). Pour that into a bowl and set aside. Juice a lemon (if you don't know how to do that, go here) and mix the juice (sans seeds) with the sugar. Put the sugar in the bowl, and follow the same process with the oil as with the brown sugar scrub. After a while, the scrub will settle and have about a half an inch of oil on top. If it does not, add more. You will need to stir this before using, and if you are giving as a gift, I suggest finding a cutesy soup spoon at Goodwill or Salvation Army to tie to the jar with a ribbon. It is also cute is you want to do some glass etching, which I will be doing to mine and posting pictures of later.

Liquid Hand Soap from a bar of soap
This one is not so play-with-it.
Use a cheese grater to grate one bar of soap. Or, if cheese graters hate you the way they do me, use a sharp knife to cut the bar into very small slivers. As small as you possibly can.
Bring 1 gallon of water almost to boil (if it does start boiling, it's ok)
Add the soap and 2 tablespoon of glycerin, and stir until the soap is melted (it should only be a minute or so, I was actually very surprised about how fast it was).
Turn off the burner and let the soap cool overnight (about 10-12 hours). Check it in the morning. Mine was fine, but if you think it is too thick, add a little bit of water and use a hand mixer to mix. I would just do a little at a time. Then, use a funnel to put it back into your gallon milk jug for storage! ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment